Sunday, August 26, 2007

Challenge #5-Wayne Newton's Guest House

Kitchen + Robb...oh my.
The Newton's however are delightful; meeting a legend like Wayne was a real thrill!

What worked:
I loved the colors in the kitchen, the multiple mirrors, and all of my furniture choices. In particular, I thought that the wall colors made the room warm, inviting, and stimulating to the eye and pallet.
Hosting: Relief! The mojo flowed, and it felt good!

What didn't:
Wayne and his wife wanted a 'professional/restaurant'-styIe space, so I felt that 'less was more'. Upon seeing it on TV though, less was just...less. (My learning curve during this process has been crazy...it's a crash course in real-world execution, except it's playing out on TV.)
In a perfect 'Design Star' world, I'd have filled the glass vessels with dry goods: peas, beans, rice, etc. It would have given them a pop of color and a purpose, while remaining simple. I'd also have set the table. (Plus, our fridge was on the lawn (!), and our windows went naked. Obviously, these things would've been properly executed during the time alloted.)

Obviously, working with Robb was HEINOUS.
Producing a cohesive, well executed design when working with an abusive personality is tough. It felt like every decision was a fight, and that negative vibe took valuable time and energy away from our task. Our room's weaknesses were a true reflection of the discord between us.
When you're in the final 4, you want your project to be smart, successful and beautifully executed, so falling short in any way is a real blow.

Final thoughts:
Well, the secret is out: I'm feisty, and I don't suffer bullies.
I decided to tell the truth about our corrosive working relationship during elimination, and it was risky. The showdown was hard, but I was NOT going down without a fight! The judges were horrified and found it unpleasant to witness... I agree, but all I can say is, 'welcome to the past 24 hours of my life'.

I feel truly blessed to be one of the Final 3! Will and Todd are both super talented individuals, and I am walking on air.
As for Robb -- buh-by!

14 comments:

Sheer Politics said...

Yay! We're so glad Robb is gone! You totally shined in the presentation. Do you have previous TV experience--it looks like you do. Even in the TV audition it looked like you were totally comfortable in front of the camera.

chular said...

You can stand up to a ridiculous bully, design a fabulous sapce, and host like no one else. You're the girl to look out for, Kim Myles!

Dorothy said...

You handled Robbhole perfectly. Go you! I'd watch a show hosted by you anytime. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Great job, Kim! You had the most difficult challenge out of the two (a kitchen) AND had to work with Robb! You came through with flying colors on both. Your presentation was also the best out of the four ... way to go!!

Kim said...

Thanks again to you guys for taking the time to leave me a message! It's so cool to have people reaching out to lend support and encouragement!

AtomicSpaces said...

Kim, I've been rooting for you since the first ep - glad to see you're in the Top 3! You've got a great on-screen presence, and I think you'd be fanstatic with your own show - I'd love to be your design assistant!

Sheer Politics said...

Oh, you have GOT to see David Bromstad's Vlog for this latest episode. He really hates that Robb was so rude, but it's very funny. He's also taping a special for the spring up in New York. Let us know if you get to meet him.

travis.dudley said...

Kim,

Good job handling Robb's pessimism. You so don't need that. Keep your chin up, you are doing a wonderful job, and we're very proud of you!

The entire LT Eventions crew in Vegas is routing for you!

Good luck!

LA said...

You came off as completely poised and reasonable when discussing with the judges the discord among your team. Robb came off as aggressive and arrogant. There was such a difference. You were 100 percent professional and he was a petulant child.

As I was watching last night when it was you and Robb in front of the judges, I was thinking to myself, "this has been edited down to 1-2 minutes, but I bet the real-life showdown was excruciatingly much more painful and much longer than 2 minutes."

Really cool, also, that you guys worked with Todd and Will to make the entire guest house harmonious.

My parents used to live a few miles from Wayne Newton's place, and I've driven by his giant "wall" many times. It was really interesting to finally see what was behind it.

Three cheers to you!

Anonymous said...

Robb's behavior was totally unacceptable ... "ride my coattails" indeed. I also love how he said he wanted people to confront him and then immediately went on the heavy defensive and wouldn't let you get a word in edgewise. Handling him with class and style just made him look even worse by comparison. Good job!

Lyn Blair said...

Hey, Kim!
I'm aware the results are already in, but I still wanted to send you belated best wishes for challenge #6!

cb said...

brava to you in this one! I was SO happy (and proud in a "you go girl" sort of way) that you stood up to him, instead of just backing down to preserve the piece. And your calmness and competence really made Robb look like even more of a tool. He was on this show for far, far too long.

btw, your "mosaic" technique from the dollar store challenge has been percolating in the back of my mind...i may try it out somewhere in my own home! so there: I've already learned something from you on "your" show!

Don Shetterly - Relaxing Piano Music said...

I'm so glad you took the high road and rob got sent down the road! He is talented but he's got to learn how to play and work well with others.

Unknown said...

Dear Kim,

I just wanted to let you know I watched you through the design star competition and now on your new show. I supported you through the competition and was THRILLED when you won. You were patient, tenacious and passionate. Your show is just the same. Congratulations and keep up the great work! I could not be happier for you.