Friday, August 10, 2007

HGTV's Design Star: First Challenge

Ok, here's where I get to dissect the work that I do on the show. As you know, I'm not a professionally trained designer, so my participation on Design Star (an amazing experience!) carried with it a bit of learning curve. Here are my thoughts.

Challenge 1- Penthouse
Ok, I loved the Dining Pit and Zen Lounge that Scott and I created! (Props to Todd for making a monster table appear out of thin air for us.) It's a space I'd gladly hang out in. Thank God Scott and I were on the same page design-wise, and God bless him for immediately having a very clear starting place and vision.

What worked:
I loved our color palette, the organic feel of all of the wood, and the cleanliness of line. My major design contributions to the space included most of the accessories, the assembling & upholstering of the 2 white lounges, the bench seating upholstery and back rest, and the small hanging lanterns (not the big lamp: I'm still on the fence about that one. Loved EVERYTHING about it but the dangling ropes...but hey, it looked stellar on TV, and added an organic vibe that really softened the space. I learned something on that one. Scott, kudos.).

What didn't:
I still think it's odd that Todd's 1/4 pipe was included with our space. Don't get me wrong, it was a cool 'out of the box' interactive moment, but it didn't have much to do with our 'Zen' situation. Also, if I had it to do over, I'd have gone larger scale with the pillows on the lounges; to my eye they looked a bit dwarfed on TV.

Final Thoughts:
I am beyond thankful that Scott and I had such a great connection and shared a vision. It was such a blessing to pair with a kindred spirit for the first challenge, and I am just so relieved that the judges loved the space. (And that I didn't go home!) The first challenge is anyone's game, and you just never know how it will fall out.

(I miss Lisa, though. She's a gem.)

No comments: