Friday, July 11, 2008

"Miami Modular:" Answering all your questions about Slip Covers

Wow. It has been a LONG time since I last blogged, and for that, I apologize. The last 10 months have been the wildest, craziest, most intense of my life to date, and sadly, my blog fell by the wayside. BUT....I'm back, and I'm so excited to be connecting with you guys again! I'll be using my blog to tackle 'all things design' once a week, so let's make it a regular date!

To begin: Slip Covers. So many of you are looking for an inexpensive way to update old furniture, and a ton of you wondered about the slip covers that I used on the "Miami Modular" episode of Myles of Style, so here's what I know....
Remember that perfectly fitted green slip cover that I used on the Ikea couch? Well, it just so happens that there's a company dedicated to making slip covers for almost all upholstered Ikea furniture: www.bemz.com They have an amazing array of colors, patterns and fabrics, and it's totally affordable. (The only downside is having to wait for shipping, but I think that it's worth it in order to get that custom look.)

'Sure Fit' is another great option if you just want it cheap and easy (and your furniture isn't from Ikea); most of their stuff has a bit of stretch to it, so it's easier to get that 'fitted' look. Another smart resource is your local upholsterer. It's worth calling up your neighborhood Mom & Pop operation and inquiring about custom slip covers-- you're sure to get a perfect fit, and you'll have the luxury of choosing your own fabrics. (Plus, it always feels good to support local businesses.)

I'm hard at work filming season 2 of Myles of Style, and I hope that you guys are having as much fun watching it as I am making it! It's such a joy to be living my dream and doing what I love; thank you all so much for making it possible. It's a thrill each time I get to meet one of you out and about in the world, and it's my goal to continue to turn out designs that get your creative juices flowing.

2 comments:

Animalist said...

Great show, Kim! I love your designs, ideas, and the affordability of it all! You have a fun, easy, relaxed manner, and your focus on elegance is perfect. I hope to see you season after season. Kudos to Vern, Cynthia, and Martha for picking you :)

Cate said...

Just saw the show where you redid a bedroom, making it a zen-type retreat. Love the pebble headboard you made - thanks for the inspiration!