Sunday, September 2, 2007

Challenge #6 -- Design Star Gives Back

THIS is why I love design!! Being entrusted to improve the quality of life for a beautiful young family was the biggest thrill ever -- I still can't get over it!! The Dean's loved the result, and I couldn't have asked for a better reaction!

What worked:
Overall feel of the space: Cozy, comfy, and rustic, as requested.
Natural elements: Stone and wood details brought the outside 'in' while honoring the families desire for simplicity and earthiness.
Paint choice -- Green is the perfect neutral: It complements all colors well, and is lively with out being too 'bright'.
The 'chalet' style bar overhang: My clients wanted to keep it (I was on the fence), and it actually became a nice focal point once I stripped off the plastic trim and gave it a stain.
'Bonus' Dining Room: Who doesn't love a little something extra?! When you have 10K, just go for it!
Hosting: I could talk about design and design choices all day long, every day of the year. It's my favorite subject, and getting to do that on camera is REALLY fun!

What didn't:
Well, the client veto'd hardwood floors, leather sofa's and warm colors. This made rendering a truly rustic feeling much harder!
The wall-2-wall carpet: The client is always right of course, but in my opinion, a home that's set on country property (equaling lot's of mud and boot traffic) would be better served by a hardwood floor. (Also, that beige carpet was the darkest one available for immediate installation..Uhg.)
The floor plan: Keeping the traffic pattern flowing while giving access to the wood burning stove and TV proved to be less than successful.
Furniture: The in-stock availability / time constraints were definitely tough obstacles -- Ideally, I would have modified the available furniture choices (side tables in particular) to better suit the room's scale.

Final thoughts:
The mud, rain, time crunch and hardcore rural location were all huge challenges, and to have succeeded in pulling it off for the Dean family is something that I'll always be proud of. My carpenter Jimmy was a gem of a guy, as well as an amazing craftsman. The execution of the firewood storage unit and bar exceeded my expectations!

FINAL 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am honored, and BEYOND excited! I remember watching Design Star last year, and saying to myself, 'I have talent and passion -- I'm just going to go for it!'.
Throughout this process, I've worked hard, stayed true to myself, and played the game to the best of my abilities -- all I can say is that believing in yourself is POWERFUL, and I feel truly blessed.

Will -- Will Smith is a consummate professional, a gentleman, and a massive talent. It was bittersweet saying goodbye to a man who has become a true friend to me, but I've no doubt that his Star is on the rise, and that he's unstoppable...he's quality in every way.

14 comments:

brink said...

Congratulations!!! Jeff's laughing at me because I am so giddy and calling my mom, e-mailing anyone and everyone I know, blogging here, blogging on your my space, etc, etc....
Love you and congrats

Melanie said...

Nice job, Kim. I am rooting for you! We live in the sticks in IA and I know how hard it would be to find what you need on hand quickly. I'm sure the family is ectatic!

chular said...

Awesome work, Kim! Your challenge was by far the most difficult of the three. I love your work and your totally natural TV persona. I cannot wait to see what you do in Hawaii next week!

Linda Merrill said...

Congratulations on making the final 2 and good luck!

cb said...

many, many congrats on making the final two, and displaying such a fantastic attitude along the way!

I am totally on "Team Kim"!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Kim,
Congrats on what you pulled off in Wayne, WV! I used to live 1 1/2 hours southwest of there in eastern KY...so I know how hard you it had as far as merchandise selection. It would have been nice if HGTV had made it clearer as to your challenge there. Question--why did they not show us your floor plan sketches like they did with Todd? Would've liked to have seen what you planned versus what you wound up having to do because of merchandise availability.

Kim said...

Thank you, everyone! It means so much to me that you're taking the time to write in and lend your support!
Re: Floor Plans -- I watch along with all of you each week, and what makes the cut (and what doesn't) is always a surprise! Creating a rustic cabin when the client has veto'd hard wood floors, leather couches and warm colors is a challenge in and of itself -- add the rural location to the pot, and it gets even harder. I'm just so glad that they loved it, and that I'm in the final 2! Hopefully next week you'll be able to see more of my design process, and rest assured that Hawaii's challenge is amazing.

Unknown said...

Nice Job Kim, I was am so excited for you and I am praying that you will shine Sunday and everyone will vote for you. Don't let anything hold you back you have made it to the top way to go. Im one of your biggest fans :)

Unknown said...

Kim I LOVE YOU!!!! I'm totally going to vote for you next sunday no matter what happens in the actual show :) You are the next designstar in my book!!!

Laura said...

I'm sure you'd rather be known as a NYC gal than a Bakersfield gal (understandable!), but this Bako gal has been rooting for you from the start. I'll be voting for you early and often!

LA said...

Thanks for explaining why you went with carpet instead of hardwood.

I'm thrilled you're in the finale, and I wish you well. I'll be voting for ya!

Coriannder said...

Kim,
I have been watching you and you bring such a fun and upbeat personality to the show. I wish you the best of luck!
I also have to ask, I LOVE the bag you carried in West Virginia. Can you share the name of it?
Best of luck!! I am rooting for you!

Kim said...

Hey!
Made the bag myself (I'm crafty!), so let's call it a 'Kim Myles Exclusive'.

Coriannder said...

Hahaha! You are very talent in so many ways! I'm so jealous!
I wish you the best!
Oh and I feel so honored that you responded. After watching you on TV it is so cool to be able to read your blog and "chat" with you. :D